What do you need to know about Finland?
– It may be cold in February, so be prepared. Remember to take warm clothes with you. The key is to wear a lot of layers that you can take off and put on when needed.
– Even though Finns might seem a bit quiet at first we are friendly and warm people after all.
– Finns own a good sense of humor and an open mind.
– You can get clear water everywhere. No need to buy bottled water.
– Our nature is very important to us. Please recycle especially cans and plastic bottles.
– We recommend you to have a taste of traditional Finnish foods and sweets during your stay.
– The stores are open usually from 9am to 9pm and restaurants mostly from 10am to 10pm. We recommend you to check the opening hours of the restaurants you’re planning to dine.
From Helsinki it takes by plane 45 minutes, by train or by bus about 4–5 hours to reach Kuopio
Connections by air to Kuopio are excellent, as there are 9–10 daily flights from Helsinki to Kuopio. Kuopio Airport also operates charter flights.
The airport is located 20 km from the city centre. From the Kuopio airport you can take either a local bus or a taxi to the city centre. The bus number 40 operates between the airport (lentoasema) and the city center on Mon – Fri (from approx. 06:00 to 19:00). This bus arrives at Tulliportinkatu 33 (bus stop: “Tullinkulma”) and it departs to airport at Maljalahdenkatu 31 (bus stop “Maljalahdenkatu P”).
You can pre-order a taxi free of charge. The taxi in Kuopio costs approx. 1,65 € / km + basic fee 6-9 €. There is no Uber in Kuopio.
Kuopio local bus route planner. You can find the schedules also in Google Maps.
Please note that you cannot pay with credit card in the local buses, but only cash. The ride in the city area costs 3,30 €.
-Kuopio doesn’t have metros or local trains so you need to use a bus or taxi. The local bus ticket is 3,30€ and you can pay that with cash or with an app on your phone called Vilkku. The taxi fee during business hours is about 6€+(2€/km). The fees depend on the taxi company.
– We recommend that you walk here, at least a part of the time. The views are pretty and so you can stop to watch them. Also the distance between places aren’t that long. For example the distance between the city centre and Microkatu campus is about 3km.
Local buses from city center (bus stop “Tullinkulma”) to Microkatu campus (bus stops “Teknia E” or “Microteknia – piha”), piha =yard
City center bus stop Tullinkulma at Tulliportinkatu
By utilizing the local bus route planner you can find the buses between the city center and Savonia main campus (Microkatu 1). Many buses depart from Tulliportinkatu 33 (you can type “Tullinkulma 1 L” in the route planner). The bus ride from Tullinkulma to Microkatu campus takes some 4-7 min. The buses will leave you either at Teknia E or Microteknis bus stop:
- Buses 4, 7, 16, 21, 23, 31 stop at Teknia E (Savilahdentie 8, a road just next to the Microkatu campus).
- Buses 32, 35 and 40 stop at Microteknia (next to the Savonia main entrance)
Please note that there are no info panels in all buses indicating the bus stops.
Buses from Microkatu campus (Teknia P) to city center (Kaupungintalo = City hall)
- Buses 4, 7, 16, 21 and 23 to city center depart along the Savilahdentie (bus stop named Teknia P) to city center.
- Buses 32, 35 and 40 depart close to the Microkatu campus main entrance (bus stop “Microteknia – piha”) heading to city center.
At the city center you can exit e.g. at the main market place (bus stop “Kaupungintalo” = City hall)
Microteknia bus stop near Microkatu campus
Local bus between the airport and city center
The airport is located 20 km from the city centre.
The bus number 40 operates between the airport (lentoasema) and the city center (bus stop “Tullinkulma”, Tulliportinkatu 33) on Mon – Fri (from approx. 06:00 to 19:00).
Local bus from city center to the airport
Kuopio city centre map (printable)