From Helsinki it takes by plane 45 minutes, by train or by bus about 4–5 hours to reach Kuopio
Connections by air to Kuopio are excellent, as there are 9–10 daily flights from Helsinki to Kuopio. Kuopio Airport also operates charter flights.
The airport is located 20 km from the city centre. There is a bus transportation arranged for EU4DUAL guests for many incoming flights. You can find the bus transportation schedule in your email.
From the Kuopio airport you can also take a local bus or a taxi to the city centre. The bus number 40 operates between the airport (lentoasema) and the city center on Mon – Fri (from approx. 06:00 to 19:00). This bus arrives at Tulliportinkatu 33 (bus stop: “Tullinkulma”) and it departs to airport at Maljalahdenkatu 31 (bus stop “Maljalahdenkatu P”).
- Kuopion Taksi1: + 358 200 111 01 or via Taksi1 app
- VieVie: +358 2000 3000 or via TaksinAppi app
You can pre-order a taxi free of charge. The taxi in Kuopio costs approx. 1,65 € / km + basic fee 6-9 €. There is no Uber in Kuopio.
Kuopio doesn’t have metros or local trains so you need to use a bus or taxi.
At the moment the weather forecast is promising even -18 temperatures for the week 8. Prepare with warm clothes and layers!
Red dots = hotels:
Purple dot = bus stop where most busses leave to Microkatu
Kuopio local bus route planner. You can find the schedules also in Google Maps.
Please note that you cannot pay with credit card in the local buses, but only cash. The ride in the city area costs 3,30 €. The local bus ticket is 3,30€ and you can pay that with cash or with an app on your phone called Vilkku.
We recommend that you walk here, at least a part of the time. The views are pretty and so you can stop to watch them. Also the distance between places aren’t that long. For example the distance between the city centre and Microkatu campus is about 3km.
Local buses from city center (bus stop “Tullinkulma”) to Microkatu campus (bus stops “Teknia E” or “Microteknia – piha”), piha =yard
City center bus stop Tullinkulma at Tulliportinkatu
By utilizing the local bus route planner you can find the buses between the city center and Savonia main campus (Microkatu 1). Many buses depart from Tulliportinkatu 33 (you can type “Tullinkulma 1 L” in the route planner). The bus ride from Tullinkulma to Microkatu campus takes some 4-7 min. The buses will leave you either at Teknia E or Microteknis bus stop:
- Buses 4, 7, 16, 21, 23, 31 stop at Teknia E (Savilahdentie 8, a road just next to the Microkatu campus).
- Buses 32, 35 and 40 stop at Microteknia (next to the Savonia main entrance)
Please note that there are no info panels in all buses indicating the bus stops.
Buses from Microkatu campus (Teknia P) to city center (Kaupungintalo = City hall)
- Buses 4, 7, 16, 21 and 23 to city center depart along the Savilahdentie (bus stop named Teknia P) to city center.
- Buses 32, 35 and 40 depart close to the Microkatu campus main entrance (bus stop “Microteknia – piha”) heading to city center.
At the city center you can exit e.g. at the main market place (bus stop “Kaupungintalo” = City hall)
Microteknia bus stop near Microkatu campus
Local bus from city center to the airport
The bus 40 operates between the city center and airport (lentoasema). The bus departs at the bus stop “Maljalahdenkatu P” at Maljalahdenkatu 31 (Google maps).
Kuopio city centre map (printable)
- Savonia: Microkatu 1
- Dinner Monday night: Restaurant Galla, Lapland Hotels, Puijonkatu 32
- Dinner Tuesday night: Kuopion Saana, Siikaranta 12
- Activities & dinner Wednesday: Puijo, Puijontie 135
- Casual event Thursday: Lapland Hotels, Puijonkatu 32
- Jazz concert Thursday: Lumit High School, Koljonniemenkatu 48-50
Taitoshop, address: Haapaniemenkatu 28
Vaahteranmäen Mumma ja Pappa
address: Shopping center Apaja, under the market place (under the street level)
Handmade crafts of local wood
Moico crafts & design, address: Haapaniemenkatu 20
Ceramics, textile crafts, prints, jewellery
Sokos, address: Haapaniemenkatu 22-24
Carlsson, address: Kauppakatu 36